Times Gone By

Times Gone By

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Norwood Nth Carolina

12/17/2010
Well after a 36 hour reset I rang my Dispatcher Friday morning to get the plans for the day.Halifax had just had a snow fall and the highway to Truro was littered with cars that had spun off the road. Plan was to pick up mt trl from the yard and go to Mitchelin in New Glasgow to pick up my load. It was 32 metal stillages going to Mitchelin in Norwood Nth Carolina. Furthest i'd been down in the States. I could'nt get Custom clearance till Saturday morning, so stayed at Pennfield for the night.
Next morning made the calls to the Custom Broker and Dispatcher to make sure I was good to go. Yup green light given, so I trundled off to the port (border) at Calais. Pulled up at the booth only to told by the cheerful and smiling(thats a lie their miserable B's) that nothing had been sent through. Went through the x-ray and parked up. It took over an hour to get it sorted. These American officials have no sense of humour. I was stood looking out of the waiting room window with my hands in my pockets and I was told to please remove my hands from my pockets. Like being at school, accept these people carry guns.
Eventually cleared I was off. The first days drive was unadventful and got down as far as New Jersey for the night. The traffic round New York had been surprisingly good.
I set off Sunday morning for Norwood. Cut through Madison County, did'nt see Clint Eastwood, or the Bridges(you have to have watched the film). Passed a sign as well pointing off to the Walton Mountain Museum. Did'nt see John Boy either. North Carolina is a pretty State. Got to Mitchelin at 430pm and was unloaded and parked up by 7. I stayed at Mitchelin for the night.
The following day I did'nt get my reload details till 1pm. A load of plastic bins from Reidsville NC bound for Brantford Ontario. Reidsville was only 100miles away so I was soon there and loaded. Now a friend of mine had told me that if I was down that part of the States to us the 15 to get back up to Buffalo. Well I tell you, what a road, it was fantastic. The scenary was awesome. Passing by some of the old towns and buildings, I half expected to see cowboys riding down the streets. The veiws in the hills and mountains was awesome, can't wait to travel this road in Spring. The problem was I'd left my camera in the sleeper berth so could'nt get any pics. Ah well there will be always next time. Got into Brantford at 4pm Tuesday, got unloaded, and was in a truck stop down the road having a nice hot shower by 6. I guest the next day was going to be a lazy one as Clarke was'nt expecting me to tip till the Wednesday. Sure enough it was. Took my mt trl to our terminal in Concord then bobtailed down to Mississauga to wait for the poolcar. I eventually got a knock on the cab door 130 Thursday morning. Sorted, 1150 miles now between me and my Chriatmas Eve beer at TBR's. I dropped the trl at Dartmouth NS at 7 Friday morning, picked up the lobster and mussels(our Christmas dinner) and was home by 9. Sorted.
Hope you all had a Good Christmas. I know Sharen and me did. Our 1st Christmas in Canada.
Good luck to you all for 2011, keep it safe

No comments:

Post a Comment