Times Gone By

Times Gone By

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Follow me

I had a great weekend, you?
Well rang dispatch at 8 and was told to come in. Well when I pulled in at the terminal my mate Jozsef had just been dropped off by his wife. We both went up to the office only to be told Ron was in a meeting for the next 15 mins. So Jozsef rang Edina (his wife) to pick us up and go for a coffee. So the 3 of us went to Tim Hortons for a coffee (sorry Dave no donuts). It's always good to catch up with these two, we keep wanting to have a meal together but either one of us is getting back home when the other is heading out. Still great friends. Anyway on our return to dispatch, Ron turned to Chris and said "ah our mans here now, so lets get Buster and Shane on the road"....??? Shane? I'm stood next to Jozsef, he means Jozsef. Chris wrote down some numbers then came across to me and said " Buster we want to know if you can do us a favour, we've a new driver, experienced in Canada but no USA experience, is it alright if he shadows you down to the USA. Show him how to fill the customs forms in and basically show him the ropes as much as possible."
My first solo run was on 12th October 2010, I still consider myself a Rookie, every day is a learning day to me. To be asked last week if I wanted to be a coach, then today be asked to look after an experienced Canadian driver, it made me feel as they'd totally lost the plot. No joking aside, made me feel good, must be doing something right. So to our dispatch. Hook up to an MT take it down to St George, New Brunswick and load with paper bound for Chester, Pennsylvania. Tidy run. Trouble was when we got to the paper mill they told me the loads were no way ready and to check back at 530 shift change. No big shakes it was now 5. So call to Dispatch to explain situation and check to see if they'd given us the right load numbers. I had wondered why when I checked the Pre Plan the delivery date was for the Thursday, hell I could reverse to Chester and still be there Wednesday morning. Just got my feet up when the Qualcomm went off to say change of plan we were now heading for Pawtucket, Rhode Island and the loads were ready. Next thing security are calling down the CB for 1 of us to go round and load. Me first, then Shane (hey I'm in charge okay). Now once we were both loaded I decided it was no point in crossing into the USA that night, we may as well stay at Pennfield (only a few K's away) for the night, bloody hell Pawtucket was a local run anyway, only 410 miles away. The next day was a piece of p and was on a door unloading in Pawtucket by 130 the following afternoon. Both trucks unloaded it did'nt take them long to find our reloads. Head to Montville, Connecticut (60miles away) to pick up then head for Concord, Ontario. Now here's the stupid thing, we had just delivered 2 loads of paper from Canada to the USA, we were now heading to load with the same type of paper to take back to Canada. I'm not going to worry keeps me in work. Loaded, we stayed just outside Hatrford, Connecticut for the night. Again nice and easy run the next day to our terminal in Concord, Ontario. Well I thought so, it was either Shanes cold or the fact he was'nt used to keeping up with an expat with a strong bladder, cus he looked bad (I don't like stopping). Anyway once at Concord we parted company, I was taking an mt to Burlington, Ontario to load, then heading back to Truro, Nova Scotia. Now this was a short week, only 2450miles, but I needed to be home on the Friday to start applying for my B1B2 visa for the USA (naughty boys need this to cross the border). So home for the Friday and Saturday and head back out Sunday.. Be safe my friends catch you soon
.

No comments:

Post a Comment