Times Gone By

Times Gone By

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Last rtip of 2010

Happy New Year everyone.
Got back News Years Day at 4am. I left on the Monday for a trip to New Oxford PA. The previous night I'd been talking to my friend Jeff (he also drives for Clarke and was my mentor when i started) he'd set out Sunday afternoon and was parked at Salisbury NB. He warned me there was a bad snow storm coming in for the Eastern Seaboard and Maritimes and that I may not get out. It did snow in Halifax during the night, about4 inches, but within an hour it started to rain heavy and continuously for hours. Well the next morning my only problem was digging the snow away, from in front of the truck, that the snow plough had deposited there earlier that morning.Rang dispatch for pre plan. Call at terminal pickup a container, take it to the rail port in Moncton, then go to our trailer yard(also in Moncton), pickup a trl loaded with waste paper going to the mill in St George NB where I'd also load with rolls of paper bound for New Oxford. Simple. New Brunswick had had a lot of snow, like we had, but without the rain, so there was plenty about.
Tipped the waste paper and loaded and headed to Pennfield truck stop (not far from the mill) for the night. No point in going any further as I knew my paperwork for customs would'nt be ready till morning. Gave Sharen a ring and she told me Jeff had been in touch to see how I was getting on, as he'd only managed to get to Newport ME before having to give in to the snow. Must have been bad because Jef is one hell of a driver, did't get Driver of the Year 2010 for nothing and thats not a company award its a regional thing. Congrats again mate, your "The Boss". Anyway next morning I peeked out the curtains to see if anymore snow had been deposited, and was relieved to see there had'nt, it was ruddy cold though. The roads were kind of ok going to Calais, it was after the border crossing it got really bad. Compact snow and ice. There was 1 thought in my head, and that was "what the hell The Airline was going to be like". Well it was, how can i put it, a little hairy. One joker shouted out on the cb "ye ha Ice Road Trucking highway 9 style". He was'nt far wrong.Maine had had it bad, but the snow plough crews had done a great job in opening the interstates, if only 1 lane in places. I got down to New Oxford about 11am Wedsnesday morning, with no incidents except for a blown headlight bulb. When I was sat waiting for details of my reload I managed to talk to my mate Dave  back in England over Skype. If you en't tried it you've got to, it was good to see and speak to him again. Pre plan through, reload Lancaster PA (only 45 mile away from me), then up to Concord ON with it. Sorted, that meant I'd be back New Years day. Dropped the trl off Thursday morning, did a small collection & Del round Toronto, then went off to Missassauga to wait for my trl bound for the Maritimes. I left Missassauga midnight, got as far as Woodstock NB, then set off again that night for Moncton. Trl dropped off and bobtail home. Jobs a gud un. I got home at 4 am. Couple of hours sleep, wash the truck, breakfast, then of to the Tavern for Levee day celebrations. Great day had. Well that's it for 2010. Lets see whats in stall for us in 2011. Again Happy New Year all. Catch you guys later

No comments:

Post a Comment