Times Gone By

Times Gone By

Monday, January 31, 2011

Next 1

Ah well the girl went into to Penske for her service Monday, taken to Freightliner on the Tuesday for a recall and me hoping to roll Wednesday morning. Oh no. Wednesday morning still in the shop. Got her back in the afternoon (still with a list of jobs undone). Got dispatched, bobtail to Moncton, pickup mt, then go to Lake Utopia NB to load for Chester PA. Nice steady run. Stayed in Stamford Connecticut on the Thursday night and woke to another white world. The conditions of the roads between there and New York were pretty poor. But once across the George Washington Bridge the roads improved. Load delivered by 10 I was off to Hazleton PA to pick up my reload. The trl I was picking up had 5 deliveries on, St John NB, Fredericton NB, Moncton nb, Charlottestown PEI and then New Mina NS. Trouble is the 1st delivery didn't have to be made till 7am Monday morning. Another weekend sat in the truck, never mind. The time flew by, especially the Sunday as I was busy Skype'ing. It's fantastic now because Micks got Skype, love you bro. Thanks Dave for sorting it. The temperature really fell on the Monday, it was down to -40. The store deliveries went quite well and I was making good time. I was looking forward to the delivery on Prince Edward Island as I'd never been there, and the drive there was going to be different, as to get to PEI you drive across a bridge crossing the sea. The bridge itself is just under 9 miles long. Look forward to doing that drive in summer. Downside to this bridge is the slightest winds and it closes. As I found out. Made the store delivery but when I returned to the bridge I was greeted with a line of trucks parked on the side of the road and the signs flashing "Bridge Closed". So only thing to do was sit and wait and let mother nature do her thing. The bridge didn't reopen till 2am, so I set off for New Mina, I'd be early but hey ho. Luckily when I arrived at the store they unloaded me straight away, another result was i only had to travel a mile down the road to pick up my next loaded trl. 43,000lb potato starch bound for Berwick PA. Another nice steady run. It's regular now to hear on the radio of snow coming in, they call anything under 3inches a light dusting. I arrived at the delivery point early Thursday morning but then sat till 130 waiting for my reload instructions. When they came through another short drive to Hazleton to pick up 40,000lb of food wrap. Didn't get loaded and out of there till 730 so a quick drive down the road to Blue Ridge Truck Stop. The load was going to Burlington ON so again no pressure, it's only about six and half hours away. Delivery made in Burlington I headed for Brampton to pick up a load going back to Halifax. Sorted Sunday at home. The journey back was straight forward, oh except the bracket on the air compressor broke and I had to strap it up to get home. Dropped the trl in Lakeside Sunday morning then home. Always so good to get home. My neighbours must think I'm mad, washing my truck in -12 conditions. Truck washed, breakfast eaten, change of clothes and off to TBR's. Going to take a couple of days off, hopefully back on the road Wednesday. So until next time, keep it safe

No comments:

Post a Comment